American Girl Doll Knock Off Gift Guide #holiday

My girls are into American Girl dolls the only catch is they do not have actual American Girl dolls my girls have American Girl doll knock offs. I refuse to pay that kind of money for a doll that will be tossed around by a 6 and 4 year old and there are several great dolls that are much more reasonably priced. If you have a little girl who is into American Girl dolls but you just can’t or won’t pay that kind of money I have great news there are lots of American Girl doll knock offs that make amazing dolls and accessories your kids will love. Here is my list of dolls, doll clothes and doll furniture that work with American Girl Dolls and their competitor.

American Girl Doll Knock Offs

• Madame Alexander, 18″ Favorite Friends Collection: These are the dolls my girls have we got them at Target several Christmas’s ago for $24.99! My girls adore these dolls and you can not tell the difference between them and American Girl dolls when they are side by side. Even some of my daughters school age friends who are very particular about only liking American Girl dolls had no idea we had knockoffs! Plus they have so many to choose form each of my girls has one that looks like them. On Amazon I have seen the various version of this doll anywhere from $39.99-53.99. Note Dollie & Me brand dolls found at Kohl’s and Macy’s are the Madame Alexander dolls.
        • Our Generation 18 inches Doll : another option is the Our Generation doll again this one comes in many options and is very similar to American Girl dolls although I do think they have a more distinct face that is less like American Girl Dolls. Again depending on the version I have seen these anywhere from $35 – 44.95
        • KidKraft 18″ Doll: The newest American Girl knockoff doll is by Kidkraft I saw these at ABC Kid’s Expo and they are cute although I think they look more like Our Generation dolls than American Girl dolls. These are very reasonably priced at $36.99

Doll Furniture

American Girl Doll Knockoff Clothes

There are tons and tons of companies that make doll clothes fro 18 inch dolls these are just a few I have bought before and liked.

• Playfully Ever After: Last year I got my girls Disney princess dresses from here and they are rally great. You can read my full review here.
    • Dollie & Me: My girls love to dress in matching outfits with there dolls, Dollie & Me has a great variety of dressy and casual matching outfits. I have found these sets on Amazon and at Kohl’s plus they were recently on Zulily.
    • Our Generation doll clothes: Of course they make all kinds of doll clothes as well available on Amazon and at Target.

I know this is not a comprehensive list there are many smaller brands out there but these are the one’s I have experience with and like. Feel free to share any other American Girl Doll knock off resources in the comments and happy shopping!

About Ellen Peppercorn

Hi my name is Ellen Peppercorn and I am a 32 year old happily married mom to 5 little girls living in Columbus, Ohio. My husband, my five girls and my faith are the most important things in my life, they are my world! After starting That Chic Mom (formerly Thrifty & Chic Mom) five years ago I am happily blogging daily here about all of the things I love… fashion, beauty, family, cooking and all the products that help me be a better mom or make my life easier as a mom.

Comments

1. Thanks for the list! It makes it easy to find some reasonable gifts for young girls.

2. i was just wondering do you know if the 18” kid craft dolls fit into the american girl outfits? we recently got our daughter one for christmas and was trying to find outfits that would fit it. thanks!

3. as far as I know all the 18 inch dolls fit the American Girl Doll outfits, they should at least I have not tried to do it with that combination though.

4. Vanessa Knutsen says:

The cheapest 18″ girl dolls are the Springfield dolls. They are $20 currently at the local Joann store…they are said to be available at Michael’s Crafts, Hobby Lobby…and are also available online.

They do not have the overall quality of the Madame Alexanders (the best of the knockoff’s I’ve seen so far) but have better faces than the Our Generation dolls.

The US craft stores I mention all regularly put out 40 or 50% off coupons. So I have gotten my Springfield doll for as low as $10. DEFINITELY making it a wonderful first doll for that tiny girl who is rough on her toys. They have lots & lots of clothing available as well as some accessories.

5. Maria Iemma says:

Wow – these are adorable – I am going to add this to my Christmas list for my youngest granddaughter. Thank you for sharing.

6. Starr Greenwell says:

Thanks so much for the great ideas and information. This is great.

7. Thanks for the heads up! I have a 8 year old who wants some bad!

8. These are really great tips, thank you. My little girl is not big enough for an American Girl yet, but this knowledge will sure come in handy in a few years.

9. Just an interesting fact. Madame Alexander Dolls have been in constant production since 1923–that’s 85 years. American Girl was released in 1986. So anyone purchasing a madame Alexander (like we did) is getting an “original” product.

10. Andrea Cotter says:

Love these tips. My kids can’t tell the difference!

11. what great info, I am going to need this as my daughter gets older.

12. My niece loves any dolls. She would love these. The furniture is cute too.

13. judy gardner says:

thanks for the info, my niece loves american dolls but i cant afford them!

14. Thanks for the list and ideas my daughter loves these kind of dolls

15. those are so cute, I even want them for myself just to remind me those fun years

16. Debbie Welchert says:

This is something my grand daughter would love. It’s nice that it’s so afforable.

17. Adorable!! And I agree – why pay more when they will be actually PLAYED with rather than “collected”?

18. I have been wanting to get an American Girl doll for my Grandaughter, but just couldn’t afford one – plus, I agree w/you — it seems silly to pay that much for a doll that is going to actually be played with! Thanks for all the info, now I know where to start looking!

19. Robin Wilson says:

Christmas is coming so I am on the hunt for the best bargains I can find. These are awesome! I can promise you that my great-niece won’t know the difference, but my wallet will! Thanks!

20. Rachael Roberts says:

Thank You so now I can find the right doll at a great price!! I plan on gettin my daughter a doll this year & this will really help!

21. These are great tips. With the holidays coming up, our girls will be asking for more dolls.

22. Great list! My sister in law will love this. She has been thinking of getting an American Girl Doll for my niece. She just doesn’t want to spend that much.

23. American Doll girls have come so far from when I was a little girl. They have so many accessories! Thanks for reminding me about them.

24. Amanda Wilmering says:

Thanks for this list! My six year old received a Madame Alexander doll last year. This year she is getting an Ag doll but I’m still not ready to buy all those accessories!

25. Jennifer S. says:

wow, nostalgia time. I had the four Little Women Madame Alexander dolls growing up. I’d go through different phrases as to which was my favorite, although it was most often either Beth or Jo (which is odd, because I really had a “thing” for cute blondes; I envied them so!).

26. These really do look similar. They’re all beauties.

27. I have 3 grandkids and wondered about getting them their first. But the prices are so out of reach for us to do.So this list is great for me, as I have not looked at dolls or girly stuff for a long while. Our daughter is now 14, the youngest and she got ONE AG doll when she was around 8. It sits in her closet in the box, with clothes her friends gifted her that year also in boxes. yep, one of those things that are too pretty and too expensive to play with. How silly. So the grand daughters will probably not get one. I have seen alot of the Springfield ones this year on blogs and I think they look stunning. Great idea to use a coupon we always get for the craft stores too. Who knew?

28. Debbie Welchert says:

I had no idea that there are so many great dolls that look like American Girl dolls. My granddaughter wants an American Girl doll and we simply cannot afford one. I’m happy to find out that there are some affordable dolls that she will love just as much.

29. my daughter would love these!

30. vickie couturier says:

this is so cute,,my grandaughters would love this doll

31. Marcy Meyer says:

Great alternative!

32. Raina DelRio says:

Thank you for this AWESOME list! With American Girl on my daughter’s radar (and most likely on her birthday and Christmas wish list), this will allow me to get her things without having to take out a second mortgage on the house :P

33. Thanks for the head’s up as I’ve been thinking of getting my neice a doll…these sound less expensive but still high quality!

34. vickie couturier says:

those dolls are very cute my granddaughters would love them

35. Thanks for the ideas! My daughter’s birthday is coming up and she really wants an American Girl doll. I just can’t bring myself to spend over $100 on a doll! These are cute alternatives.

36. Those madame alexander dolls look exactly like american girls! what a great idea for my niece for xmas

Trackbacks